Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ieper - Menin Gate

Menin Gate - I can't believe this shocking photo, I hope Aaron has some better ones or I might have to steal Nanna's post card!

Ieper - this seemed to be the town square - we bought the best chocolate here!

This is the highlight of the whole trip for me. Aaron and I have had a painting of Menin Gate - Menin Gate at Midnight, hanging on our wall since I fell in love with the original at the Australian War Memorial while Aaron was at Duntroon. The monument in real life was extremely moving and the history of this town so sad. The town was basically flattened in WWI, 60 000 Australian fought in this area of those 46 000 died. This monument has the names of all the fallen soldiers (not just Aussies) who do not have a grave stone else wear. The side walls are full of names, it is unbelievable and incredibly sad how many names there are here. Every evening at 8pm traffic is stopped through the gate and the last post is sounded along with a short ceremony, including the poem, "For The Fallen"that is read at our ANZAC Day services. It was an extremely moving evening and even now when I think of it I get goose bumps.

No comments: